Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Walk in the Fog.


I got out at 7:45 this morning and the fog was so thick, you could "cut it with a knife". We live in "Fogland" after all, so the clouds come down a lot around here. My legs hurt me a lot last night after my six mile walk, and the arthritic joint on top of my left foot was very stiff. I did gentle periodic stetches to ease the stiffness and this morning, the only thing bothering me was my foot. Once I got moving, the pain eased and I was ready to go. But, I felt hungry, so I made my orange smoothy and drank that before heading out. I've been carrying a small bottle of water for the walk.

As I began my walk, I first texted my sister to let her know the plan. It really feels good to be accountable, and I appreciate her willingness to be with me on this new journey so much. My greatest fear is that I'll quit after three weeks like I always have in the past. During yesterday's walk, though, I broke the chain across my chest with my hands in my mind's eye, and tossed it to either side of me as I walked. Today, I choose to focus on my success instead of my fear: one day at a time.

I also realized yesterday that I wished I had a camera with me, so today I took one. I knew the fog would release some incredibly beautiful shots, and it didn't disappoint. I chose my usual six-mile walk today that did not involve the main road, which meant much less traffic. Yesterday, I also realized Main Road heading south was a solid gradual incline. No wonder my knees hurt. Today, there are a few gentle hills, but mostly flat road, so my walk was easier on my lower extremities. Plus, I wanted to take pictures along the way, so I decided to do as my spiritual mentor, Sonia Choquette, always advises and "feed my spirit".

The eary fog laying over the land made me feel dreamy, but awake. Every sight had an ethereal look to it. I breathed deeply and the air smelled of salt, hay, freshly mowed grass and shellfish. I discovered the Honeysuckle is still in bloom, so it's scent added to the bouquet and I felt alive and happy. I literally smiled most of my walk and was light and joyous. I am always amazed at how powerful depression is at preventing me from just enjoying being outside. Once I get a taste of feeling better, "happy" sneeks into my heart again, and colors seem brighter and the air smells sweeter. I know I sound like a sap, but this is exactly how I felt this morning. It was wonderful.

The horses near our house are such an added bonus. They were all out this morning, and one came right over to the stone wall and sniffed my hand. (S)He did the same thing on the way back only the second time, (s)he licked my hand, and it scared me a little. I didn't know him/her, so I didn't know if (s)he would bite me. I felt silly and apologized to her/him, then chuckled to myself. (S)He just went back to eating grass without a care in the world, and I mozied on to finish my walk.

Also along the way, just a hundred yards or so from the horse farm were six chickens roaming around along the side of the road and hanging out in the swamp thicket. They were certainly a long way from a hen house and I worried they were lost. My neighbor told me she saw them in the thick fog driving to work this morning, and was worried she'd hit them with her car. On the way back, they were still hanging out in there, so I told them I hoped they weren't lost and to go home. I chucked again.

I walked to a bridge that crossed the ocean and the marshland. Fog made the marshes look like a lovely watercolor painting. I'll try to replicate it at home when I break out the water color tubes I've had for decades and never opened the box. When I was feeling down last Saturday, and called for help, I tried feeding my spirit again (as advised) by drawing a scene with colored pencils. That's when I realized I loved the tall grasses all around here. Are they marsh grasses? I don't know, but I love them.

I succeeded in capturing a spider web covered with dew. OMG, it looks like a lovely crystal necklace. I am so happy. I'll have to blow this one up. I once had the idea to create a photographic portfolio of spider webs. I find them fascinating and beautiful: so many unique designs. It's always a plus to also capture the web's designer in the process, but alas, I was not granted that wish today. It doesn't matter, I love the final result all the same.

At the end of my walk, I noticed I didn't feel as stiff as I did yesterday, and my foot felt ok. I just love "muscle memory". Once again, I was reminded that my body remembers on its own how to heal and "snap back". I just have to provide the venue for it to do its thing. What a miracle my body is. I am blessed with good health and I look forward to getting back my strength and stamina.

No comments:

Post a Comment