Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Out with the old...

Breaking old patterns is hard. Learning new lifestyle behaviours and sticking to them is harder. Nothing is impossible, but that "ole stinkin' thinkin'" is very powerful. So is guilt. I was raised Catholic, so guilt has a strong hold on me. I fight it every day, but that string hangs tough to my psyche. It goes way back.

I have been working hard to exercise most every day, and I eat healthily much of the time. But, my addiction is sugar and chocolate. It IS an addiction. My sister says, "Just stop it!" "Yeah, yeah, yeah", I say. "I know you're right." But, I have to choose in the moment my addiction kicks in. I choose. Not her. Not anyone else. Me. This past weekend I chose my addiction over fruit every time I wanted "something". It ain't easy.

Guilt makes me feel like such a whimp. My sister is fighting cancer for God's sake. If she can do that, I certainly can choose fruit instead of 60% dark chocolate chips on my fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt. One scoop with a few chips would be better than three with lots of chips, that's for sure. But, maybe for right now, I should just forgo the latter all together, and choose the ever-darkening pear sitting in my fruit bowl instead. I can't eat just one chip. Some days, like these days, it is just too hard. Others are much easier. Just not today.

So, learning from my Al-Anon classes, I must choose differently. It isn't so bad. Fruit is healthy, right? And, it tastes good. I know it ain't chocolate, but what is? For now, I will choose the fruit. I will "Just do it!" Thanks, Sistah. I'm off for my walk now.

1 comment:

  1. For me it is all about shopping. I stick to the outside edges of the grocery store, which is where the "real" food is located. I don't even walk down the temptation aisles. I joke that my list of things I CAN'T buy is twice the length of my regular shopping list. If it isn't in the house, I can't be tempted.
    It's hard, I know. Just take it one decision at a time.

    ReplyDelete