Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Making Progress

After my little heart attack scare, I brought a note from the cardiologist back to Eric at Four Corners Fitness and resumed my workouts. The doctor was sure I had not had a heart attack. Instead, the tightness I felt in my chest was probably a result of reflux. Prilosec is now my friend, at least for fourteen days. After that, I'll probably switch to DGL (deglycerized licorice); a more natural way to spell r-e-l-i-e-f.


The thought of losing two months and reverting back to "square one" was just impossible for me to consider. I insisted the cardiologist call me and write the note, because the delay in scheduling a stress test until the end of April is on their end, not mine. I refused to be penalized for their busy schedule. The doctor left instruction I was not to exert myself until after the stress test, but in the hospital he said the likelihood I was having a heart attack was virtually nil. Larry and I will be heading to our home in South Carolina on May 7th. I'll miss that whole month, so losing April too was not to be tolerated. I've already decided to look for a place like Planet Fitness down there, so I can at least get to a gym while I'm away. I understand there is no long-term commitment required at Planet Fitness. I also found out my brother-in-law down there joined one, but there might not be one close to us in the "boonies". So, onward and upward.


I got back to work this morning, and was so happy to be there. So was Eric. He missed me! We talked about how much progress I've made and how well I'm doing. Last week he up'd my weights, and I loved how strong I felt. I felt the same way this morning. It's so great to look in the mirror and see bulges forming in all the right places. I pulled down sixty pounds on one of the machines! That's a first for me. It felt great. I'm pumping 12.5 lb. weights overhead, and I can feel that my left arm is weaker than my right. This will change in time. I love that I look forward to doing weights. I have never felt this motivated about exercise in my life. Cardio exercise just doesn't feel like enough anymore.

That said, I did another thirty minutes on the elliptical machine after my weight workout. I love watching the Travel Channel's "Fantasy Vacation Homes" show while I work out. After getting through the first fifteen minutes, I can just go away to those fantasy homes and the time flies by. Before I know it, my thirty minutes is up. For the second time, after I stretched out, I left the room to find I was all alone in the studio. I also love working out in a small, local place where the owner trusts me to shut off all the lights and leave whenever I'm done. Luckily, the owner lives right across the street, so he can also keep an eye on the place, but being trusted to stay as long as I like is a very nice feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment