Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Power of Canine Companionship


Mattie Grace
Larry and I watched Futurama on TV last night. I've never seen it before, and will never watch it again. (I never watched Southpark again after the episode where Jesus and Santa Claus get into a fist fight either.) The Futurama episode broke my heart. I got angry and went upstairs to read. I just couldn't stand watching television one more minute. But, I couldn't get the episode out of my mind and just wanted to cry. I felt heartbroken. I reacted, and still am reacting, so extremely to it. I just don't understand why.

The main charcter accidentally fell into a cryogenic machine while delivering a pizza to the site. He was thawed ten thousand years later. Meanwhile, he had befriended a scruffy, street dog he named Seymour. He worked at a pizza shop and fed Seymour pizza. Their favorite song was, "Walking on Sunshine".

Jackson
After being thawed, Philip J. Fry is now friends with a robot. They go to a history museum where Fry finds out the pizza shop he worked at has become an exhibit, complete with his now fossilized dog exhibited in a glass case. He is appalled to see his pet has become an exhibit, and steals it from the museum. He brings it to a scientist friend to extract DNA, so his pet can be cloned. (I never watched the show and can't be bothered providing all the details, so they may be inaccurate.) The robot becomes jealous and throws the fossilized dog into a vat of lava thus infuriating Fry.


Long story short, eventually all is forgiven and Fry gets the dog back to be cloned. He finds out the dog lived to be fifteen years old. Upon finding this out, he realizes he only had the dog at three years old. Therefore, the dog must have live a whole other life, and concomitantly sung to a whole new song with another owner. So, he cancelled the cloning process, decided the dog had a happy life without him, kissed it and said goodbye.

Jackson and Izzy, his cousin

New scene, we see the dog searching all over creation for Fry, and finds him in the cryogenic tube, but Fry's parents don't notice, and put a leash on the dog and pull him away. The dog spends the rest of his life sitting and waiting in front of the pizza shop for Fry to return until the dog lays down and goes to sleep forever in old age. The tune we hear through the passing years as we watch the dog age and die waiting for his beloved master to return is, "I Will Wait For You". Are you kidding me?

Then today on Facebook, I see a video about a pair of dogs, one was run over and died, while the other prods it relentlessly trying to wake it up. I couldn't even watch the whole thing, let alone listen to the commentary. I am crying inside with the sad emotion of the devotion and loyalty and persistence of dogs. I wish all humans behaved the same way. Maybe that's why I cry. I don't know. But, I need to snap out of it for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment