Monday, February 4, 2013

Life of Pi 3D

It's been a long time since a movie made me laugh and cry. Pi did. This story is truly touching and fantastic. The cinematography is magical and beautiful. I felt sad and good at the end and loved watching the credits in 3D. This technology has come so far. I forgot after a while that I had on the glasses, and the entire movie felt up close and personal. It also helped that I was the only one in the theater for the 5pm show.

 Suraj Sharma as the teenage Pi was perfect in the role. His beautiful face lit up the screen, and his emotions truly moved me. This young man never acted before this movie. I hope he wins an award. He really deserves it.Irrfan Khan as the adult Pi was also wonderful. As he told his character's story, he moved me to tears. I normally love Gerard Depardieu, but he was despicable in this tiny role. The music was perfect.

There are lots of philosophical lessons in this movie. Pi grows up searching for God, and finds Him in his love for Richard Parker, an adult Bengal tiger. The tiger saved his life as Pi saved the tiger's life while stranded together with a zebra, a hyena and an orangutan on a lifeboat after a devastating ship wreck in which he lost his entire family. But, it is also about loss and survival. Pi listened to his father and uncle and learned their life lessons well. Those lessons helped him survive as well as the supplies in the lifeboat and its manual for staying alive at sea.

The movie did a wonderful job of portraying what it would be like to survive something like this: the terrible force of waves in a huge storm, looking into clear water, up from it, and reflections that prevent one from determining up from down. It is a beautiful movie that must be watched in 3D on a huge screen in the dark.

I am so happy I saw it. Go check it out for yourself. I think you'll be happy you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment