Sunday, May 20, 2012

Changes in Attitudes


We have been at our lakehouse in South Carolina for over two weeks now. I got one walk in and one swim during that time, and a whole lotta guilt. After months of working with my personal trainer twice a week with walks in between plus cross-training machine time, I can't believe how easily the routine falls apart. I thought I was strong in my new life choice, but being down here changes everything. I didn't get it before. I never really understood how so many people remain unhealthy here and just don't exercise at all. Now I see how this can be. I'm not sure what creates the laziness here, but it feels pervasive.

Our property is very remote, in the woods and on a beautiful lake. As I write this, a fisherman is standing in his "Jon", small, flatbottom, boat tossing in a line along our shore. It is a gorgeous sunny day, about sixty-five degrees in the morning. The pups are barking their heads off at the fisherman and disturbing the peace of birdsong and lapping waves on the shore. It is quiet, calm and restful. It feels so restful, that I get very lazy. I just don't want to do anything or go anywhere. But, I sit so much, my ass hurts. It got to a point last week, that my hips hurt laying on my side in my bed. Once I reached the point of pain trying to sleep, I got that ass out of bed and finally checked out a gym close to home, about eight miles away, I found on the internet.

New Life Fitness World is new looking, clean and very nice. It's not a big as Gold's Gym, but much bigger than Four Corner Fitness in Tiverton, Rhode Island. The staff is friendly and for forty dollars cash, I can use the gym for the three weeks I'll be here as much as I want, including classes. The first floor is full of machines and free weights. I walked around and saw lots of familiar machines, but not some I'm used to using. I'll check those out soon. I looked up and there was a second floor "loft" surrounding the machine area. All the treadmills and cross-trainers were up there so you can overlook people working out below. Surrounding the machines is an indoor track. They have an indoor pool in which they offer aqua classes and a jacuzzi. There are lots of other non-water classes there as well. There was a good mix of ages and fitness levels working out, and seeing this always makes me feel more comfortable.

I chose a cross-trainer and worked out for ten minutes before I gave up. The electronic counters didn't work. I found one that did, and worked out another thirty minutes until I was dripping sweat. It would have been good to have my music and I'll remember to bring that next time. I walked the track to the stairway the long way around and downstairs, chose an inflatable ball to do seventy-five crunches in three sets, then three sets of waist-twists with a weighted ball before stretching out and leaving. I felt so good coming here and proud of myself. As I was walking out the door, I remembered I left my glasses upstairs on the machine, so I ran up the staircase, walked the full length of the track, retrieved my glasses, and finished the walk around the other side back down the stairs before sprinting out the door.

Before leaving, I asked the young man at the desk when the busiest times were on Saturday so I can avoid it. He said by 10:30 or 11:00 a.m., I should be able to do anything because there are classes that can crowd the place. I didn't go, but may go today, just to get thirty minutes in on the cross-trainer. I'm determined to at least get my heart rate up. My knees hurt yesterday, and my arms hurt last night, but I think they just need some weight training today. I will probably lift a bit to get them back. They must be feeling the loss.

I'm so glad I went and look forward to going back. It made me remember how good working out can feel, and I like seeing my wet, red face in the rear view mirror as I leave the parking lot to head home. Once home, I had something to eat, then jumped in the lake to rinse off. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment