Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sunset; Moonset

After spending the last couple of weeks in a dark emotional and spiritual place, I woke up to a full-moon set early this morning and felt saved. The full moon sitting over the river with hues of soft pinks and blues soothed my aching heart and head. My spirit was uplifted in a moment. I went back to bed after letting the puppies out to pee, but didn't stay there long. I got up and dressed. After feeding the pups and making coffee, I took them for a walk to the beach down the street.

They towed me forward in the crisp cold air, and I just breathed it in. It was the first cold morning I was out, and on the "loop" road, puddles were coated with ice. I got excited for winter to finally arrive. I never thought I'd ever hear myself say that, but this unseasonal weather (while very nice), is a little creepy. Sixty degree weather in December in New England is "just wrong"! Winter's arrival was also confirmed when on our way home, we saw "the oyster guy" cranking his boat up onto the trailer to be launched next season. His dingy sat on the mooring looking very lonely indeed. Winter is coming!

Last night, I went to a very sweet Christmas musical play in Oxford, MA at the Oak Hill Bible Church with my friend, Joyce, at her invitation. I had no idea what to expect, and really didn't care. I was open to anything. I love musicals and live entertainment, so whatever it was going to be was okay with me.
The story was set in the fictional Valley Haven Nursing Home. The main character was a crotchity old woman, whose character was so dead on, she reminded me of my late mother-in-law while she resided in a nursing home. It was a little too familiar, but opened my eyes to the loneliness and bitter hopelessness experienced by many of our elderly whose children can no longer care for them safely at home. Her rants of wanting to stay in her room; protecting her pocketbook, and accusing everyone of stealing from her rang a little too true. But, my heart went out to my poor late mother-in-law because this character showed me it wasn't just her: that anger and bitterness can happen to many who feel left behind and alone or left out. The play had a happy ending and Joyce and I sang along quietly to the familiar Christmas songs like, Joy to the World and I'll Be Home for Christmas.

For the first time this season, my heart opened to Christmas and the Joy I have always felt at this time of year. It was open and ready for the moonset this morning that put me in a whole new spiritual Light.

Bring it on! The radio is set to a channel that is playing round-the-clock Christmas songs. I can listen to them now and let the happiness heal my heart. Thank you Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Kathy. You captured both the joy and anxiety of the season so perfectly. I agree with you on the weather!

    ReplyDelete