Friday, December 30, 2011

And in the beginning, Light was created.

It's that time of year again, when I have to decide: to Resolve or not to Resolve? Resolutions seem more like a process one continues throughout the year than a life-changing decision to make on New Year's Eve or Day, whichever means more to you. When does one begin again? The first day of the calendar year, the Spring Equinox, my birthday? I usually talk about new beginnings on all three occasions. I am a believer in "do-overs". And as a believer in re-do's, I keep re-doing all year long!

At the start of each day, I resolve to go for a walk, eat healthily and drink more water. I resolve to take a few minutes to meditate and to write. Some days I do it all. Many others, I do not. At this phase of my life, I am granting myself more Grace in these times of struggle. If I achieve my daily goals, I give myself a quiet pat on the back. If I do not, my old self starts bringing out "the big stick" to beat me with, but my new self quietly holds the other's hand back and gently says, "No, no. This is not required anymore. Thank you, though."

Life is a process. It's a journey. It's about enjoying the ride. It's about having fun and laughing out loud. It's full of singing and dancing. At least, this is what I keep reminding myself that it is. When that old voice pops up in my head to bring me into "stinkin' thinkin'" again, I encourage, no, I plead with my new voice to silence the old. I am tired of feeling guilty for not doing what I know I should be doing to be healthy and happy. I am healthy and happy. I have to keep reminding myself I have succeeded, and I don't have to try anymore. I can just enjoy the ride.

So, as you walse into this new year, say, "Thank you" to 2011. Say, "Bye, bye and have a nice day" to it, once and for all. Every day is a new beginning; every breath we are granted in this life is a Gift. Enjoy all the gifts you are given: large and small. It's not just about the Kindle I got for Christmas, it's also about my knees that are still working so I can walk on the beach with my puppies every day. At least, that's what I am resolving to do today.


Happy New Year and Peace be with Us.

1 comment:

  1. gorgeous photos to accompany this equally gorgeous blog post. you have inspired me to put down The Big Stick - this has now become the official 2012 Resolution! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete