Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Dreams


When I dream of home, it's always either our family home on Chestnut Street in Newton Upper Falls, Massachusetts or our grandparents' home on Abbott Street. Neither home looks exactly the same, but I always know in my dream that it is how it is supposed to be.

Two nights ago, while the "Blizzard of 2015" raged up north (we are at our lake house in South Carolina presently), I spent the entire night rescuing family and friends from the storm. I lived at Gummy and Papa's house, and tried desperately to convince friends to spend the night and not drive in the snow storm. "I have plenty of beds and food," I said, but some still insisted on driving. I felt frustrated, and woke up exhausted. In fact, I was exhausted all day, as if I had been shovelling out.

In the morning, I ran to the television for the latest news on how the storm was affecting my loved ones and our Rhode Island property. Then, I texted everyone to see how they were faring. Our neighbor, who borrowed our snow blower, gave us the skinny on our property, because our internet was down and we couldn't see our security cameras. He told us they had power, though, so we must also. I was frightened our generator would be drifted over with snow and wouldn't work if the power went out. Then I started seeing pictures on Facebook throughout the day as the inches grew; dogs adventured out to pee, and my son shoveled his snow blower out of a drift. I eventually calmed down as I received more and more information that everyone and everything was really all right.

Last night, I had a dream my parents were both alive. My siblings, who didn't look anything like my siblings were very young and my mother had an infant. I was an adult, and living at Gummy and Papa's house. I came to visit and found my little brother changing the baby's shitty diaper. I was very impressed he knew how to do it. Then I picked up the adorable little baby girl, and found she had shit again. She had diarrhea, poor little thing. Somehow I decided she needed greens for roughage. She kept shitting. When I removed her diaper, she had "mixed green salad" leaves coming out of her butt. I marched her little leaf-riddled butt over to my mother and the boys to lecture them on not feeding the baby leaves, "and this is what happens!" I yelled. My little brother reminded me, I fed the baby the leaves, and I apologized feeling very confused about why I did that. What a strange dream.

Dreams fascinate me. I never know what will come out of my head each night, but clearly, I am still trying to take care of everybody. No wonder I am tired. Sweet dreams, Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment